Friday, April 7, 2017

Saunders Brothers: A Local Gem

I love a big pot of happy and that's exactly what I find when I buy plants from Saunders Brothers at my local garden center. Bigger and more robust than the competitors, they offer more interesting cultivars than many of the other growers. 'Amber Moon' astilbe is just one of the many Saunders Brothers plants in my garden.




'Amber Moon' astilbe

Located in the Blue Ridge mountains of Virginia, Saunders Brothers is a family operated wholesale nursery specializing in boxwood, annuals, perennials, container grown trees, roses, and many woody shrubs. By working with the National Boxwood Trials, they are continually working to identify cultivars best suited to the various climates across the US.

Buxus sempervirens 'Dee Runk' 

Saunders works to bring unique plants well suited to local growing conditions into area garden centers. When I'm looking for a well-tested plant that will thrive in my Virginia clay loam and hot, humid summer, plants from Saunders are my first choice. 


 'Low-Scape Mound' aronia melanocarpa, a Proven Winners selection, is a low growing variety of the native chokeberry reaching only 1-2 ft in height and propagated and sold by Saunders. What a cool shrub! 

Be sure to ask your local garden center to carry plants from Saunders Brothers!