Monday, August 10, 2020

Meet Our Community: Misti Little of The Garden Path Podcast

Let's get to know each other!

Since we're not able to meet up in person this year, let's meet online. Each week starting today, we're introducing a member* of our Fling community here and on Instagram, in their own words. We're excited to see what everyone's talking about and sharing with their followers!

*Any garden blogger, vlogger, podcaster, or Instagrammer who follows our Instagram or is a member of our Facebook group. If you'd like to be considered or recommend someone for a Meet Our Community profile, email us.


Misti Little



I host The Garden Path Podcast: Life Lessons and Conversations from the Natural World, which I created in late 2015 to fill a gap in the gardening podcast world. It began with conversations with friends and family and morphed into connecting with other gardeners and naturalists that I had long admired on social media. 

I put the interview aspect of the podcast on pause at the end of 2019 and am currently adapting it into a solo show to encourage gardeners to become better naturalists! It's a work in progress!

I enjoy learning about and planting native plants to encourage biodiversity on our 1.2 acres in the rapidly expanding Houston suburbs. But I also can't help myself when I find a unique plant that isn't from North America, and I drool over tropical gingers, bromeliads, and orchids! We have an enclosed edible garden to keep the deer from munching on the fruits of our labors, and I enjoy reaping the rewards from a successful tomato season just as much as I enjoy seeing the butterflies nectaring on our native plants in the flower garden.

Crinum
My favorite botanic garden is Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden in Coral Gables, Florida. I'm a sucker for tropical plants, and their diversity of specimens, from unique vines to fabulous palms, is enough to make you want to move to zone 12 or beyond! 

Choosing a favorite plant is a tougher call, but let's say it's a tie between ghost orchid (Dendrophylax lindenii) and redring milkweed (Asclepias variegata).

***********


You can follow Misti on her YouTube channel, on Instagram, and on her blog, Oceanic Wilderness

Thanks for sharing your work and gardening passions with us, Misti! 

Long-tailed skipper

All photographs courtesy of Misti Little.